Tuesday 23 January 2018

Sex lies and murder

23/1/2018

O.K. So now I have your attention we'll continue with Genesis Ch 4. First verse Adam had sexual intercourse with Eve.  Who says the Bible is prudish. I heard from a minister yesterday that the first commandment God gave us was to go forth and multiply (actually I think it was don't eat the fruit), anyway we come bask to that same question. There must have been other men and women around or we are looking at incest. First born was Cain meaning 'I have created' (well with a bit of help from Adam and God). Next came Abel. Cain was a farmer and Abel a shepherd.  In our schools and churches at Harvest time we always sing 'We plough the fields and scatter the good seed on the land' and we have a great display of vegetables sometimes flowers.  We have a baker in our church who always makes that display bread of a harvest sheath of wheat. At Harvest in the beginning Cain gave farm produce as a gift to God from his fields and Abel the best fatty cuts of meat from his lambs. Now this confuses me again.  Why did God accept Abel's offering and not Cain's? This made Cain angry and God said 'why are you angry?.  You're face could be bright with joy if you do what you should. Duh??? What was Cain supposed to do that he didn't and Abel did.  I scratch my head in wonder and think no wonder I'm a very anxious person because I don't know if I'm doing the right thing half the time too. You'd think God would tell him what he did wrong to put it right. So we have our first murder.  Cain was so angry that he killed Abel.  This is where the old saying 'am I my brothers keeper' comes from; as that was Cain's reply to God when he asked him where Abel was. So God punishes Cain, by making him a fugitive and a tramp wandering the earth and not getting any food from the soil no matter how hard he works. God puts a mark on Cain to stop other people from attacking him and sends him out of his presence to the land of Nod? puzzled again, where did this land come from?
Stay tuned for the next thrilling instalment.
Bye for now

No comments: