Thursday 15 March 2018

Jacob the cheater

15/3/2018
Who says it doesn't pay to cheat? God obviously approved of Isaac doing it to his brother (but to be fair, Esau had already promised his birthright to Isaac for some food).  Isaac's mother overheard Jacob say to Esau the eldest; 'go out and hunt for venison and prepare my favourite meal so I can eat it and bless you with the blessings that belong to you'. But Rebekah was fast and she prepared Jacob's favourite meal while Esau was out hunting So before Esau came back, Jacob disguised himself by wearing the goat's (used to make the meal)fur on his hands and back, so he would appear hairy like Esau. Isaac's eyesight was going now as he was very old.  The ruse convinced him and he gave the firstborn's blessing to Jacob and only had a little word for Esau by the time he returned, making Esau's descendant's subservient to Isaac and all the blessings of a long successful life with many descendants to Isaac. Esau became very angry and Rebekah told Jacob fled to flee to his uncle Laban in Haran until Esau had clamed down.  I think I would be very afraid if I were in Jacob's shoes and very angry too if I was in Esau's, but having thought about it a bit more I would remember my eagerness to throw my rights away as Esau. I would probably realise I only had myself to blame.

I wonder how many opportunities I've thrown away in my life stupidly, not knowing the consequences of my actions.  I don't think I want to know now, unless there is something I could still do to make things right? how about you?

Bye for now

No comments: